d2jsp
d2jsp Forums > d2jsp > General Help > General Help Archive > How To Clear Your Computer Of Keyloggers > By Bullet886
Closed New Topic New Poll
Retired Moderator
Gold: 1,014.74
Trader: Trusted
Mar 2 2008 11:10am
How to Clear Your Computer of Keyloggers

This guide is intended for those of you that may have trojans, keyloggers, etc. on your computer.
This is not an easy process, especially if your account was compromised, scammer tagged, and locked.
I will be including both the steps to clean your computer and how to go about restoring your JSP account.

*NOTE: Prevention is always the best solution. If these keyloggers can be kept off of your computer, you will be much better off. Refer to this guide for prevention strategies: http://forums.d2jsp.org/index.php?showtopic=15009733&f=34

A few additional suggestions of my own:

-- Do not click on links in JSP threads unless you know the site you are being directed to.
-- Hackers tend to disguise links that are 1-2 letters different that the legit site.
-- Report suspicious PM's to the mod team ASAP.

Downloading Appropriate Protection

There are a variety of virus scanners out there. This guide focuses on free alternatives.

SpyBot S&D

Link to Download: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Steps to using SpyBot:

1. After first installing, SpyBot will ask you to run through a series of seven steps (backing up your registry, installing updates, etc.). Complete these seven steps and the program is ready to use.

2. To install updates in the future, simply click the update tab and select the files you would like to download. Note: I recommend downloading all new "Detection Files" and "Main Updates" while the other files aren't really needed.

3. After any updates, click on the Immunize tab and click the green plus. This will apply the new updates.

4. To run a scan, simply return to the main screen and select "Check for Problems."

*NOTE: Spybot will also find tracking cookies. You can delete these, but don't be alarmed, they are rarely harmful to your computer.

AdAware Personal

Link to Download: http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlpid=10045910

AdAware is similar to SpyBot, but multiple programs have different detection algorithms so it is a good idea to have at least two. I have not used AdAware, but from watching friends it is very user friendly.

Steps to using AdAware:

It really couldn't get any simpler. Click Update to update your list of malicious files and search to find them! You can specifiy the details of your search to fit your preferences.

AVG AntiVirus

Link to Download: http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?part=dl-AVGAntiVir&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlpid=10760089

*NOTE: Many people believe this to be excellent free anti-virus software. I have never used it, and I cannot vouch for it. If you are interested in using this system, research it first.

ZoneAlarm (for more experienced Windows XP Users)

Link to Download: http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm-Firewall-Windows-2000-XP-/3000-10435_4-10039884.html

*NOTE: ZoneAlarm is only compatible with Windows 2000/XP. Also, I suggest downloading this program only if you have some basic (or better) computer knowledge.
ZoneAlarm is a firewall program and blocks ALL traffic on your PC. It will prompt you each time a new or "untrusted" program requires access to sensitive files or the internet.
You can customize a list of programs that will always have access, but this program is not for the beginner.

Steps to using ZoneAlarm:

1. After installing ZoneAlarm, there will be an icon in the lower, right-hand corner of your screen. Right-click it and select "Restore ZoneAlarm Control Center."

2. Navigate to the "Program Control Tab" and then open the "Programs" Tab. This shows a list of all programs cleared for Trusted and internet access. Here you can block or always allow programs access to these areas.
ZoneAlarm will also prompt you each time a new program tries to access these areas and you can simply select the "Always Allow" checkbox that comes up.

3. In the "Firewall" tab, make sure both settings are set to "high"

4. In the "Alerts & Logs Tab" turn off informational alerts (the only option in this tab).

Understanding JSP's Safety System

JSP provides a variety of features designed to aid users in keeping their accounts safe. Below are some of the most important ones discussed in detail.

*NOTE: If you have been keylogged, use the above information to rid your computer of viruses before logging into JSP and doing any of the following.
If there are keyloggers still on your computer, you are still providing information to the hacker.

Setting your Forum Gold Password

While JSP requires a log-in password, you are not required to set one for your forum gold. However, by choosing a different password for your gold, you add another layer of security to your account.
I would also recommend setting a JSP password that is different from your ingame accounts.

To change or set your password, click the "Settings" tab and click here:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/bullet886/goldpw.jpg

Your Email Address

If you are ever keylogged or need to change your log-in password, JSP requires your email address. When you register, write this address down and keep it in a safe place.
Many people have not been able to reclaim lost accounts because they have forgotten this information.

Password Change

If your account is compromised and you know your email address, your password can be reset. From the settings tab, navigate here to change your email address or password:

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r19/bullet886/emailchange.jpg

Email Contact with Njaguar and Your Friends

If your JSP account has been compromised, you can still reach Njaguar outside of the JSP forums. Email him at: njaguar@d2jsp.org from the email account registered to your JSP account and inform him of the situation.

Also, if you have a good group of friends that you play with, get the AIM/MSN screennames so that you can get in contact with them outside of JSP. They can contact the mod team on your behalf and stop problems even sooner.

Restoring the Status of Your Account

If worse comes to worse and you are keylogged, you may become scammer tagged, locked, receive warns, etc. because of the person that hacked your account.
While JSP understands that the situation was not under your control, you are responsible for the security of your account and all content/actions that accounts carries out.
This is not an easy process, but following the above guidelines will help make this process easier.
Below are some common questions and their answers:

I received xx% warn from the hacker. Can you remove it please?
This warn can only be removed after the standard 30 days.

My FG/in game gear is gone...what can I do?
Check your gold logs to see where it was sent, and then post in S/A with any relevant information you have. While you will not get your FG back, you can help ensure that the hacker is locked.

I now am locked or scammer tagged. What now?
Again, even though this wasn't you, your account is your responsibility. Post in the "Why Am I Locked?" forum and await instructions from the mod team.
If your account was loser tagged or banned, either email Njaguar or have a friend post in this forum on your behalf.

Thx to bullet886 for making this guide.
Go Back To General Help Archive Topic List
Closed New Topic New Poll